Friday, June 10, 2011

With Sugar and Spice...

...and all things nice.

A long time ago, when I was just a kid in college, my Auntie Heather gave me a recipe for oatmeal cookies. And they were so good. You couldn't eat just one. Nope. You had to keep going til the plate was empty. I think I made them for everyone I knew...including the boys I liked! Hehehehe! And each time I made them, I changed a little something. Whether it was the baking temperature, or the amount of cloves, or to leave something out...I believe there was cornflakes in the original recipe, but my Auntie will have to confirm that! 

Anyhow, I have had self-declared raisin haters ask for seconds of these cookies. They have just the right amount of sweet, just the right amount of "chew", and just the right amount of spice. My daughter says the house smells like Christmas when I bake these. Who can resist that? 

So now, I pass the recipe on to you...it's very simple, but completely irresistible. So be prepared to eat more than one!

Chewy Oatmeal Raisin and Spice Cookies

1 cup softened butter
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 egg
1tsp vanilla
1 and 1/2 cups white flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1 and 1/2 cup rolled oats
3/4 cups raisins
Heat your oven to 325F,  grab your mixing bowl, or plug in your kitchen mixer and let's get started!

Cream the butter and sugars together in the mixer. If you don't have one, a wooden spoon will work too, but I hope you've been workin' out!

... add your egg and vanilla and give it another whirl around in the bowl until it's nicely mixed.

Now here's the part where you feel you need to dirty another bowl to mix up your dry ingredients. I say, "why bother??" Really, you don't need too! Just plop your cup and a half of flour right on top of the creamed butter. You'll thank me when it comes to doing dishes later.

Do it! I know you can!!

Now add 1 tsp of each of these...
Just toss them right on top of your flour!

Now add a 1/2 teaspoon of cloves...
The star of the show...

Now, mix them all up!




Once you have the batter nicely mixed, you can go ahead and add your rolled oats. Give the mixer another whirl to incorporate them, and then add your raisins....

Now you are ready to drop them onto an un-greased pan, parchment, or silpat. I make them quite small...maybe 1 inch balls.

You can roll them, or drop them...it's up to you.

Bake for 10-12 minutes at 325F...they will be crispy around the edges and the bottom, but they will appear almost under-done on the top.

While you wait for them to bake, I am sure you will find someone willing to help with the dishes...

Well, I hope they are received as readily at your house as they are at mine. They truly are a great cookie...with sugar and spice and all things nice. I will be forever grateful to my auntie for sharing her recipe. And I REALLY hope she'll forgive me for changin' it up a bit! Maybe after she tries one...

Well, she'd better hurry...they won't last long around here!

Thanks for stopping by!!







2 comments:

  1. Yum. I love oatmeal raisin cookies! I haven't tried them with ginger before. I will have to try these. I love all your photos and your green Kitchen Aid Mixer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your oatmeal and raisin cookies..thanks for reaching out on twitter..got to know about this lovely blog.

    Lite Bite

    ReplyDelete