Friday, June 17, 2011

A Bit of Strawberry in the Mint...


I spent an evening in the city of Edmonton the other night, and without naming the restaurant, I will say two things... No, THREE things.
First, the company was fantastic. Second, the salted caramel brownie was heavenly. Third, the strawberry mint mojito was lacking in every possible way. It came to me pale and flavourless. And I was disappointed. I could have had a nice glass of red, instead!! Anyhow, I went home, woke up the next day and decided to have a do-over. I was going to make my own strawberry mint mojito. So I went to the farmer's market and picked up some fresh, ripe strawberries and came home and got to work. Now, I'm sharing the RIGHT way to make a strawberry mint mojito! ;)  

*And for those of you who prefer a virgin drink, follow all the same directions, just leave out the Bacardi...its still as yummy...ask my kids! Hehehehe

This recipe is for one tall glass...

Grab 3 ripe, juicy strawberries. If they are hard and white in places, you may as well forget it. It just won't be the same.


Once you have your berries... go and tear up about 7-8 mint leaves.


Use a mortar and pestle to bruise up your mint. If you don't have a mortar and pestle, bruise it up with a metal spoon against a plate.


Add your 3 chopped up strawberries and a pinch of cane sugar and smush them up!
Trust me on the cane sugar. I have tried making the mojito with about every sugar I could think of. The cane tastes the best.


Set those aside and sugar the rim of your glass...


Rub a lime across the top of your glass...

Then tip your glass upside-down in the cane sugar...

Now you can toss your bruised strawberries in the glass, along with the juice of 1 lime and a scant teaspoon of cane sugar.


Give it a little stir...


This is where you add the rum if you desire. A white rum... 2oz because its a tall glass! Hehehehe.



Fill the glass 3/4 full with ice...


Then fill your glass up with your favourite chilled club soda.


Add a garnish of mint to make it look pretty...and there you have it!


A strawberry mint mojito the way it was intended.


Enjoy the weekend and DO take time to spoil yourself with one of these!
Thanks for stopping by!

















2 comments:

  1. Damn you woman!! Now I want to go steal some mint from someone's garden. You are a bad influence on your older sister. xo

    ReplyDelete